As plumbers, we should not quit our day jobs

Serge and I actually managed to fix our kitchen sink! It was one of those little niggling things that you get used to working around, and then you (after a couple of years) forget about.

But while we were away, the faucet worked its way loose, so Serge borrowed some tool from his dad, and we spent 20 minutes dancing around eachother with me trying to hold the faucet in place, and him doing mysterious things under the sink. Apparently the spray hose really complicates things.

Just when I thought he had had enough of house maintenance for the season, he decided we should finally fix the leaky sink by replacing the drain basket. 

Well, not surprisingly, when I had bought the widget, it seemed like a simple install. Unscrew this, slide out that, pop in the new assembly, tighten everything up and you're done. Right?

Wrong. What we had was not a standard assembly. Although we could loosen everything, the various pipes were too long to remove. I think the whole thing must have been installed before the sink was attached to the counter, because it was going nowhere.

A lot of me looking at you looking at me thus ensued, until I finally pointed at the one piece that did not ressemble anything in the new assembly, and said 'I think we need to cut that out'. Serge accepted this idea, and more mysterious noises were heard from under the sink.

That did the trick. We were finally able to get the old basket out, slide the new one in, and test everything by filling the sink with water.  Much better, but still a tiny trickle of water. Not even a drip.

Umm, maybe we should tighten everything? Like with a pipe wrench, rather than just finger tight (from my fingers) to see if everything fits together? 

We have a working sink now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Settling in

Touristing at home